Delhi Police constable, Subhash Tomar (47), injured in clashes during protests against the gruesome gang-rape of the 23-year-old paramedical student, at India Gate, lost his battle for life at Ram Manohar Lohia hospital on Tuesday morning. He was cremated at Nigambodh Ghat crematorium at 3.45 pm on Tuesday with full police honour in the presence of dignitaries.

At 6.30 am on Tuesday, doctors informed Tomar’s family members that he passed away around 6.20 am due to respiratory and cardiovascular problems. Later, the body was taken to Lady Hardinge Medical College for postmortem and around 1.30 pm the body was taken to Nigambodh Ghat crematorium in a Delhi Police truck. The Medical Superintendent of the RML Hospital, TS Sidhu, said that the condition of Tomardeteriorated on Monday night. “We will get to know the exact reason of death after studying the post-mortem report,” he added. Delhi Police officials however claimed that the constable received injuries on his neck, chest and stomach. Violent agitators assaulted him by running over him again and again after he fell on the road.  Minister of State (Home) RPN Singh, Home Secretary RK Singh, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, BJP’s Delhi unit president Vijender Gupta and Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar were present along with senior officials and a number of police personnel of the Delhi Police.

Delhi Police Commissioner was the first to arrive at Nigambodh Ghat, even before Tomar’s body was brought in at 2.30 pm. A posse of police officials marched ahead of the body leading it to the pyre with sandalwood blocks, meticulously decorated with garlands and lilies. Around 3.15 pm the body of the constable, wrapped in a Delhi Police flag was brought to the platform and three gun salutes were fired. The body was consigned to flames amid chanting of hymns at 3.35 pm. During the cremation, a group of protesters entered the crematorium where they demanded capital punishment for those responsible for the constable’s death. But after the intervention of police official, they left the venue.

Terming the death of Tomar as unfortunate, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh asked the Government to set up more fast-track courts in other parts of the country to speed up trial in over 10,000 rape cases and provide speedy justice to the victims. Earlier in 1989, Tomar got injured in a bomb blast in the DTC bus in which he was traveling at Mall Road near Wazirabad. He had received grievous injuries but after the treatment for around 6 months, he survived. Tomar was posted in Karawal Nagar area and was called for maintaining law and order at India Gate during the protests on Sunday. He was officially deployed at Ramlila Ground where Yoga guru Ramdev was supposed to hold protests but since Ramdev’s supporters marched towards India Gate, he went to India Gate. After the violent protest on last Sunday evening, Tomar was found lying on the ground and was rushed to the hospital.

Eight people were arrested on Sunday night for the attack on Tomar but were out on bail the next day. The police have now added the section of murder (302 IPC) to the FIR that was registered at Tilak Marg police station. The FIR initially included sections of rioting, damage to public property and attempt to murder against eight persons. Joint Commissioner of Police (Central Range) Taj Hassan said that they would now be booked for murder. Meanwhile, the Delhi Police would provide aid to Tomar’s family. “We are with the family of the constable and we have decided to provide help to his family on compassionate grounds,” Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said.

Kumar said that they would give a job on compassionate grounds to one of the children of Tomar. The family of Tomar will be provided ex-gratia payment of Rs 10 lakh, Axis bank insurance amount of Rs 5 lakh and Delhi Police Welfare Fund (DPWF) amounting to Rs 3 lakh. “We are assuring that the liberated pension, gratuity, Central Government Employee Scheme fund and all the benefits of an on duty officer will be granted to the wife of the constable– Amresh Devi,” Kumar said. He also declared that all Delhi Police officers will contribute one day salary to the family of the constable. “Anyone who wants to help the family of may send a cross cheque, in the name of Amresh Devi, to the Additional Commissioner (Headquarters) MSO building, Delhi Police Head Quarter. The people can directly deposit their donation in the name of Amresh Devi in her Punjab National Bank (Delhi’s Dilshad Garden branch), Account No: 392700-0100161800,” he added. Delhi Police retired GO’s Association also decided to contribute one day pension of its members to the family of Tomar.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s